AÉÉIPPSSA Internship Program-Students
Welcome to the AÉÉIPPSSA Internship Program overview for students. Please consult the following for more information pertinent to students and the application.
- Students will spend 5-15 hours working per week for a period running from mid-September to the first week in December.
- Offices will provide students with a hands-on experience with federal politics.
- This internship is unpaid however some offices may choose to pay their intern
Requirements of Students
- Consistent hours ranging from 5-15 per week.
- Open mind, willing to work and perform any reasonable task required.
- Discretion and respect towards the Member of Parliament or Senator and his or her staff. The student should be ready to agree to sign a non-confidentiality agreement should the office require it.
- Interns are requested to refrain from accepting any outside internships over the IPPSSA internship period.
- Students are expected to provide feedback to IPPSSA in the form of a report that will be featured on our website about what was learned during the internship. A template report will be provided, along with the questions to be answered.
What if I have no previous experience?
This is not a problem as we are giving priority to students who are looking to get entry level experience. Your application answers will have a greater sway in your application, then your resume and past experiences.
Could I continue volunteering beyond the December end date?
Some offices have inquired about continuing the internship past the end date. That is up to individual offices and students to decide. Some offices have also voiced a desire to hire their interns upon conclusion of the program.
Is there anything else required of students?
At the conclusion of the program students will be asked to write a short report detailing their experiences and what they learned. This is a mandatory part of the experience.
What if I am away for reading week or other time during the semester?
Offices are aware of the unique challenges faced by students and can accommodate class schedules, assignment due dates and reading week/personal travels. Just let the office know about your travel plans well ahead of time.
Timeline of Application
Launch of the Application Period:
August 20th, 2017
Closing of Application Period:
September 2nd, 2017
Review of applications by IPPSSA:
September 2nd, 2017
Applications sent to Offices for review and selection:
September 6th, 2017
Deadline for selection:
September 11th, 2017
Ideal beginning of Internship (up to the offices, this date is a guideline):
September 18th 2017
End of Internship (again, is a guideline):
December 8th, 2017
Due Date of feedback form for interns :
December 20th, 2017